Friday, September 5, 2008

Field Trip! (040908)

So today at work, I thought I was going to be reading through journal articles and program materials, but then my colleague Yogi invited me to come along to some focus groups in a village outside Kathmandu. Of course I wanted to go… KTM is really noisy, crowded, and kind of dirty so I wanted to see if other places in the valley are the same. So we headed to Thankot, probably 10-15km outside of Kathmandu.

The focus groups consisted of local women’s groups (also participating in a Heifer International project) so I got to meet a lot of really interesting women. We were asking for feedback from them about 4 PSAs my organization has produced concerning pre-natal and maternal care (part of our Early Child Development program). The ladies were so excited to have us (giving us gifts – it’s what they do) and to talk about the PSAs. Of course we gave them some program swag from our most popular show (SSMK, which I’m going to be working on as well).

It was SO nice up in Thankot. It’s up in the hills (KTM is in a valley) and so it’s less hot, less crowded, and less polluted. The ladies were telling me that they’ve even had freakin’ tigers roaming around the villages at night. Seriously. TIGERS. :) It was really fun and nice to hang out with the local women and see how important their feedback is to our broadcasts and PSAs. Of course, I got the “She’s not Nepali?” but I think I’m starting to get used to it. Once I speak Nepali (I’m learning a little bit here and there and still looking for a private tutor), I’ll be able to blend in much better.

We got back from Thankot a little late, so Yogi gave me a ride home on his motorbike. Have to say, I was a little concerned getting on a motorbike here of all places (I really need to post a picture of a street scene so you’ll get just how crowded and congested this place is!), but it wasn’t so bad. Still a little wary of motorcycles in general, but not super afraid anymore. Don’t worry, I’m safe, mom (if you’re reading this finally!) and I probably won’t do it again.

Unless someone else offers me a ride home. :)

1 comment:

joy said...

Quite the little Hell's Angel, huh.