Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Not What I was Expecting (25/08/08)

So I’m finally here – Kathmandu. Saw the Himalayas from the plane and was completely awestruck. My airport Nepali friend was laughing at how much of a dork I am. First impressions of the area (mind you, based on the airport and the ride to my new house) remind me of so many other places.

I’ve found that airports (not in the US) are always crazy. Inside the airport, everything is always fine. It’s quiet but bustling with activity as everyone’s trying to find their bags. Outside is where crazy ensues. In Uzbekistan it was just constant yelling from taxi drivers just trying to get you in their car – in Uzbek and Russian. In the Philippines, it was just gross because not only were people pawing at you, it was hot and sticky. In Nepal, it’s a little bit of both.
After I got my visa (so easy!) and claimed my bags (why did I pack SO much!), I walked outside to where someone from my org was meeting me. Nepali taxi drivers, as soon as they see a backpack, are all over you. Speaking English and asking what hotel or guest house you’re staying at. Once they realized I was waiting for someone, they kind of left me alone. But then you have the other taxi drivers that slyly come up to you and ask if you’re waiting for someone and then ask if you will both need a taxi (whenever that person comes). One of them was nice enough to feel sorry for me waiting there and said I should go call whoever was picking me up.

Once Achala came to the airport, she secured a taxi and we went off to my house and into the traffic. The traffic reminds me of the Philippines with motorbikes, mini buses, pedestrians, bikes, taxis, and buses all on the road swerving around each other and honking. I’m considering buying a bike, but… I want to see how many accidents I see on the road beforehand. Everyone is rushing to get somewhere, but I’m not sure where.

And then we get to my house. Seriously. If Real World came to Kathmandu, they would come to this house. Okay, maybe not… but I was expecting housing much like my apartment in Jizzakh where the water only came on a good day (and even then either scalding hot or freezing cold) and the electricity was on only if the government said “okay, let’s give the people electricity to watch soap operas”. I was NOT expecting a real house (3 floors!) with actual toilets, a shower, a fridge, internet, and tv. This place is amazing and even has a cute garden that gives us vegetables. Perhaps Peace Corps lowered my expectations about what it’s like to living in a developing country. I’ll happily take it, but I’m guessing this must be what development workers get around here. Since development is a major industry here (we passed by lots of NGOs and UNICEF SUVs), the ex-pats are living like freakin’ kings here.

Pictures are coming soon.

4 comments:

joy said...

Yes, yes. Please live like a king in the Western housing. At the Sackler, Jenny and I saw a book on "my Nepalese village." Yes. Please stay in your housing.

joy said...

Oh, also...was seeing the Himalayas everything you thought it would be?

I have this image of you riding one of those rickety, silver, heavily riveting planes from the 1930s/40s, and small, tiny seats.

jen said...

re Joy's last comment: Oooh! And I see a little red line marking your flight from DC to NY to Brussels to Delhi to Kathmandu while John Williams' music plays...

But priorities: Do they have movie theaters and do they have a magnet with Joy's name on it?

Heh.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you made it there with all of your belongings. My luggage couldn't follow me from Charlotte to New Mexico. I'll be needing an address for your high class dwelling. :)