Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Trip So Far… (24/08/08)

I’ve got a long(ish) layover in New Delhi, India before I finish out the last leg of my trip to Kathmandu. So I’m just hanging out at the airport… in their “transit lounge.” Whatever that means. Basically, it’s a holding area for everyone that is here hours before their flights (mine is at 6:15am and I got here at 10:50pm). Jen wouldn’t like it because there’s a bird flying around in here. Yeah, I don’t know what that’s about either.

But so far, the trip has been fine. Everyone from Jet Airways keeps asking me if I’m flying alone. Seriously, I’m not an unattended kid. They mean well, though. And they give me extra blankets and pillows too.  The flight to Brussels seemed to take forever, but it could be because my seat mate was not getting up at any cost. And thanks for wearing that overpowering cologne, too, dude. I usually like long flights. I like the individual tv screens and movies on demand and food brought to you at even intervals. Jet Airways passes out hot and cold towels, too, so that’s a nice touch. It’s no Cathay Pacific and the yummy sweet buns, but it’ll do.

I watched a few movies that I had either missed or didn’t want to pay $9 to see. The Other Boleyn Girl, 21, parts of Vantage Point, and the first half of Definitely, Maybe. I don’t like to sleep on planes usually unless it’s sleep time in wherever my destination is, just so the jet lag isn’t that bad upon arrival. There goes that bird again… But now I’m here at the Delhi airport and I don’t want to sleep. Since I am by myself, who knows what could happen to my stuff if I sleep. I made friends with a nice Nepali guy from Pokhara and he offered to help me with ground transportation at KTM airport. Luckily, my org is sending someone to meet me at the airport. I have no idea how I would have negotiated a taxi without knowing any Nepali.

At this point, I’m pretty tired… excited (finally), but tired. I’m interested to see what my daily life will be like in Kat. The people I’m living with are all westerners, so I guess that’ll be nice to come home to. There’s lots of westerners here at the Delhi airport too… each with their own copy of Lonely Planet’s guidebook on Nepal. I own one too (I even have it in my carryon), but I’m not busting it out here. The Jet Airways people here at the airport thought that I was Nepali and so did my new Nepali friend. I guess I’m pretty lucky for being able to pass as a lot of different ethnicities.

3 comments:

joy said...

I guess I’m pretty lucky for being able to pass as a lot of different ethnicities.

Oh, the jokes I could make here. But I have these visions of Tatay stopping the car to give you a good talking-to.

jen said...

Joy wouldn't like the bird either! How was 21 and The Other Boleyn Girl? How was Brussels? Is the Delhi airport nice?

julie said...

21 and the Other Boleyn Girl were good... not worth seeing in the movies, but netflixing would be good. brussels was nice, i was only there for like a minute. :) and i don't like the delhi airport. give it a few more years until their done with all the construction and maybe i'll see more of it than just the transit holding cell.