Friday, August 15, 2008

Things I'll Miss

This isn't a post about the things that I'll miss while I'm away. I've been away from home before and I'm not really one to get homesick. Not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with homesickness. You work with kids a lot and you really (REALLY) get to know homesickness.

This is a post about things that are going to happen while I'm away. I won't cry that I'm not going to be here for them... it's not like anyone is having a baby while I'm gone and no one I know is getting married (you better not, Katie!). At least I'm here in the states for the Olympics. The Athens Olympics I missed because I was in Uzbekistan and only got to see wrestling and shooting (and only because there were Russians competing). See the list below. And let me know if I'm missing any other cool things. I leave for Nepal next Saturday! Can't believe it's here!

The World Series (and baseball in general) - While the Cardinals are currently 7.5 games back from the Cubs, maybe there's still a chance they'll get there. Even if they do make it, I still won't get to watch. And from what Peter says, keeping track of baseball overseas is frustrating. What I won't miss? Dane Cook telling me there's only one October. Why, yes... there is only one October. Thanks, Dane Cook, but I don't buy it that you're a huge baseball fan.

Joshua Radin's new CD comes out August 26 - I'm happy that my last concert in the DC-metro area was Joshua Radin. He's great. Maybe you know him from the soundtrack's Zach Braff movies (they are BFF)... or quite possibly you don't know him. But you should. He puts on an unexpectedly great show... and at the show I went to, he announced that his new album comes out just 3 days after I leave... and 1 day after I get to Nepal. Hopefully someone will send me the CD when it comes out. :)

A new season of Lost - Yes... I love this show and at the same time I hate it (but mostly, I love it). It's hard to keep up with tv shows while away. I remember seeing previews for Lost right before I left for Uzbekistan and thinking, dude, I'm SO not going to like that show. And here I am, leaving again, missing the show and I (meaning all of us who watch the show) have no answers! :) Isn't it great? Maybe abc.com will work overseas, but I doubt it.

National Cherry Blossom Festival
- I missed it this year too because I was up at school, but I really love this festival in DC. It's a great time of year... a little crazy with all the tourists, but still super pretty and fun. And the best shumai (aside from Mom's of course).

Movies - I've tried to see as many movies as I can while I've been home in DC, but I know I'll be missing some big movies. Luckily, the one big movie I thought I was going to miss Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince just pushed back the release date until mid-July 2009. So I'll get to see it. Yay! But all the smaller movies, the cute movies that most likely win Oscars, the funny and gross movies Gordon and I watch all the time? Those ones I won't get to see.

Anything else I'm missing?

4 comments:

joy said...

The next season of Greek. Not that you won't be back in time for that DVD set to come out, I suppose.

jen said...

Oooh, yes, Greek! That was the one I thought of the other day. Also: "Twilight." And? Christmas at home. And? "High School Musical 3: Senior Year" and James Bond "Quantum of Solace."

julie said...

oh yeah, the election. though i'm kind of happy to be away from that media frenzy. looks like i'm voting absentee again.

Gordon said...

you will miss the twilight frenzy...good thing you already read the books. you'll also miss the reopening of the american history museum