Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Weird Exchange (26/08/08)

So I was in my room reading and I heard this weird sound and a lot of groaning going on in the street outside my window. I thought that it must be a cow or something (we’ve got some pretty moo-y and forlorn looking cows wandering around my neighborhood), but it wasn’t!

There were these two men getting whipped by two policemen outside my window! I saw these two guys when I walked into my house. They were sitting up on an old abandoned structure outside my front gate. They weren’t doing anything, just sitting there. I have no idea what they did, but quite a crowd was gathered on the street (I use that term loosely as it’s more of a path than a street, but cars still drive on it) as they all watched these two guys getting beaten by the cops. The cops were smacking them with two sticks… not like two twigs, but like the poles that are used to make shovels. No wonder I heard a lot of groaning! That had to hurt!
So then I watched as the cops herded them out of the area, but then they were laughing like they were all old friends. Very odd.

In other news, first day at work was fine. Met everyone and am now tasked with memorizing all their names. Luckily, I have 7 months to learn. And I need to learn some Nepali soon… everyone keeps mistaking me for a Nepali citizen and speaking to me like I should understand. Only one person I met yesterday guessed right off the bat that I am Filipino.

No comments: